Moving is a complex process that requires many tasks to be completed in a limited time. It is ideal to plan the move in a month and a half. However, in the real world, there is often not enough time, and you have to move at the last moment. We have collected some tips for you to help you move on time without damaging your belongings.
Make a Plan
If you are moving in a hurry, it is better to hire professional movers https://got2move.com/. However, if you want to pack on your own, it is important to make a plan. If you are moving at the last moment, it is especially necessary to think over all the details so that things are not damaged or lost while moving.
- The first thing you need to do is to either hire a transport company or book a truck if you are moving on your own.
- Get rid of unnecessary things so as not to carry extra staff and reduce the volume of packing.
- Purchase the necessary packaging materials.
- Try to gather things by room and sort by their purpose.
- Separately collect all important documents and things for the move: passports, certificates from the veterinarian, booking records, money for renting a truck, etc.
Impossible to move without proper packing materials. Material selection is critical to keep your belongings safe when you move.
The most important items are stable moving boxes of various sizes. They will serve as a reservoir for your belongings. If desired, you can purchase special plastic furniture covers and transportable wardrobes.
Use plastic wrap to envelop soft items such as pillows. Use bubble wrap to protect fragile and hard objects.
Clothes, blankets, and towels also help in protecting things. Place a blanket at the bottom of the box or between layers of firm objects. Use socks to protect fragile glasses, cups, or plates.
Use masking tape to stick it in a cruciform pattern to mirrors and glass surfaces.
Place stickers on each box with the description of the contents and special notes.
Besides all the materials listed, you may need:
- adhesive tape
- clean trash bags
- corrugated paper
- a pen or a felt pen
Pack an Essentials Bag
Pack an essentials bag for each family member. Include soap, a toothbrush, a change of underwear, non-perishable food, a set of clothes for the first time. Set these bags aside or mark them with special stickers. These bags should not be mixed with the rest of your belongings during the move.
You will need these starter bags in the first days after moving. Thus, you don’t have to unpack all the boxes to find the things you need every day. This will save time, money and keep your new home neat.
It is best to start packing 4-6 weeks before the move. However, if you don’t have enough time, you need to elaborate a strategy to collect all things quickly and efficiently.
Inspect all rooms and identify items to transport. Then separate unnecessary items and categorize them. Things in good condition can be sold online or at a garage sale. Old clothing can be donated to charities, thrown away, or used for packaging.
Collect things from room to room. Clear one room completely and then move on to the next.
Sort items according to their features, such as kitchen appliances, jewelry, or household chemicals. Be sure to label each box with stickers.
Place heavy items at the bottom of the box and light items at the top. Avoid overfilling the box but also do not leave it half-empty. Wrap fragile items with blankets, towels, or bubble wrap for protection.
Hire a Moving Company
If you want to get rid of unnecessary worries when moving, hire a professional moving company. There are some reasons to hire last-minute movers here:
- Calmness. Moving is a morally difficult process. You will be much calmer knowing that professionals are responsible for transporting your belongings.
- Speed. Trusted shipping companies usually provide you with an exact timeline. You know when all your belongings will be delivered to your new home.
- Reliability. Special trucks are developed to transport large and fragile items. It is much more reliable than transporting them in your car or vehicle rented somewhere.
- Health care. Lifting weights without proper training can be very dangerous. You can hurt your back. Professional movers can easily lift your sofa or piano to the 5th floor instead of you.
- Safety. Experienced movers know how to keep things safe and sound. They use the right materials for each type of item to minimize or eliminate damage.
Last-minute moving is a complex and stressful process. Develop a plan ahead of time and think through the steps for the move. Choose the right materials to protect all types of items. Gather your moving essentials for the first days after moving. If you do not want to burden yourself with unnecessary problems, then it is better to hire a professional moving company. They will take good care of your belongings and deliver them to your new home quickly. Enjoy a new stage in life and don`t worry about packing.