Hydration is important because it helps to regulate body temperature, deliver oxygen and nutrients to cells, and prevent infections. Drinking enough water keeps internal organs functioning, while improving your mood, focus, thought, and sleep quality.
However, frequently drinking water is not exactly a favorite hobby. The initial manifestations of dehydration may not be apparent. So, you may notice that you’re dehydrated quite late.
In this post, you will learn some of the most effective ways to boost the hydration quality of drinking water, so you can ensure your safety and health.
What Makes Drinking Water Good Quality?
Safe drinking water is good quality if it can provide hydration and deliver the right amount of fluids and electrolytes into your body cells and tissues. Of course, water’s hydration is an important factor in its overall quality, providing plenty of health benefits such as improved immunity and prevention of disease.
Check the following determinants of high-quality water:
- Microbe-Free: Safe drinking water must be free of a significant number of microorganisms.
- Good Tasting: Good quality, safe drinking water should taste good, to make you drink more for your body’s hydration.
- Clean: Good quality water should be free from toxins and harmful chemicals.
Use Electrolyte Replacement Powder
Electrolyte powder sticks are now available to boost the hydrating ability of your drinking water. They are incredibly easy to use; you mix one stick of electrolyte replacement powder into the recommended amount of water. Some of the ingredients in electrolyte replacement powders include sodium citrate, natural flavors, citric acid, fructose, ascorbic acid, beta carotene, potassium citrate, zinc aspartate, and magnesium citrate.
With electrolyte replacement, you boost the fluids and electrolytes in your body, promoting the following benefits:
- Fast nutrient absorption
- Increase fluid intake because of flavored ORS mix
- Improved immunity
- Improved metabolism
Add Lemon To Water
Water is considered the best beverage to promote hydration. However, some people don’t like the taste. One way to make it more appealing is by adding lemon. Lemon, like any other citrus fruit, is rich in vitamin C, which improves immunity.
Lemon water contains plenty of potential health benefits. Adding lemon to drinking water can help a person to drink more water throughout the day, keeping their body hydrated. The Food and Nutrition Board sets general guidelines when it comes to fluid intake, wherein women need to consume at least 91 ounces of fluids per day and 125 ounces for men.
Here’s how to make your homemade lemon water:
- Choose fresh lemons instead of artificial lemon powder or similar substitutes
- Squeeze half a slice of lemon into eight ounces of cold or warm water.
- Boost the hydration of your lemon water by using organic lemons and filtered or purified water.
Other Water Infusion Methods
Adding slices of fresh citrus fruits such as oranges, limes, or cucumber slices. Make sure to wash them well before you slice and use them.
You can infuse more flavor into lemon water to boost its hydrating power by adding:
- Mint springs
- Maple syrup
- Raw honey
- Fresh ginger
Purify Or Filter Your Drinking Water
Clean water means being free of harmful toxins or chemicals as as possible. Tap water may contain trace amounts of arsenic, lead, and other contaminants, so it’s a good thing that there are several ways to purify or filter it and ensure that it’s safe. If you know that you’re drinking tasty and clean water, you’ll likely drink more, keeping your body hydrated.
Take a look at the following ways to purify or filter drinking water:
- Boil Your Tap Water: One of the easiest and cheapest ways to purify your drinking water is by boiling it. But how long do you need to boil it to get rid of contaminants? According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), water should be boiled for at least a minute to make it microbiologically safe.
- Iodine Solution Or Tablets: If for some reason you cannot boil your water, then you can use common household iodine to disinfect it.
- Use Kitchen Water Filter: Portable kitchen water filters are a very popular water treatment that attaches to a faucet. Natural materials include carbon, ceramic, gravel, cloth, and sand.
Incorporate Water Intake With Healthy Food Consumption
While drinking pure water is highly beneficial, you can also unleash the full power of water intake by pairing it with healthy foods such as fruits and vegetables. By doing so, you can benefit from the additional vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that they can provide to make your body healthier. Check the following examples of foods with high water content, which can boost the hydration quality of safe drinking water:
- Cucumber: It consists of 96 percent water; it is incredibly low in calories, and high in fiber and vitamins. Adding cucumber to salads and snacks, and blending it with lime or mint to make a refreshing beverage are great ways to benefit from cucumber.
- Tomatoes: Use tomatoes in preparing or cooking your family’s favorite recipes. It also helps to boost the hydration quality of your fruit juices and other beverages.
- Melon: Watermelon and melon fruits are thirst-quenching summer favorites, which consist of 91 percent water. This fruit is low in sugar and calories, and a great source of vitamin A.
- Broccoli: This vegetable contains plenty of important nutrients, such as folic acid, calcium, iron, Vitamin K, and Vitamin A. It can also boost the hydration quality of water, and you can have it by itself, add it to your favorite soups, or whatever strikes your fancy.
You can boost the hydration quality of your drinking water by adding electrolyte replacement powder, infusing lemon and other citrus fruits, and purifying the water. Electrolyte replacement solutions help to replenish lost fluids and nutrients, most especially if you have signs of dehydration. Adding lemon to drinking water can also significantly improve the taste.
Purifying and filtering water can also help to improve its taste, and the perception that you’re drinking safe and clean water will help you to drink more. Don’t forget to incorporate water into your foods, such as soups, smoothies, and even solids to boost hydration. Through these methods, drinking water becomes much more enticing, encouraging you to drink it more often.