Many people have dental discoloration and use teeth whitening methods to combat it. Discoloration can be caused by eating certain foods, drinking tea and coffee, smoking, chewing tobacco, or the natural aging process.
Cosmetic dentists help numerous such patients every day by conducting teeth whitening procedures. People do not like stained, dark, and yellow teeth because they are considered unattractive.
So, they may feel shy or under-confident about smiling and laughing in front of people. Such people will often cover their mouths or laugh awkwardly because they feel ashamed of their yellow teeth.
Thus, they resort to teeth whitening products like Crest whitening strips 3D and home remedies. However, if these methods are used wrongly, they can cause permanent damage to the teeth. You may even encounter certain issues, including:
- Gum irritation
- Itching of teeth
- Increased sensitivity
- More discoloration
- Increased staining
- Thinning or loss of enamel
This is why you should conduct proper research and ensure you are not damaging your teeth to make them whiter. We have explained the safest and most effective ways of teeth whitening below.
#1 DIY Methods
- Whitening Strips – This is a popular way to lighten teeth in 3 weeks. You will find numerous options in the market, including Crest whitening strips 3D. The benefits of using Crest whitening strips 3D are that they are affordable, completely safe, easily available, and easy to use. They are approved by various dental associations, which boast of the efficacy and safety of Crest whitening strips 3D. Your teeth can become 2-4 shades lighter. Other brands also sell whitening strips but they are generally loaded with harmful bleaching agents, which can damage your teeth.
- Whitening Toothpaste – Such toothpaste contains a small amount of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide and can lighten up to 2 shades over time. Because of the presence of powerful agents to remove stains from your teeth, whitening toothpaste can result in enamel erosion, and dentin exposure, and abrasive over time. So, do not use whitening toothpaste for several months or years.
- Whitening Rinses – You will also come across whitening mouthwashes. They are similar to whitening toothpaste and can lighten your teeth by 2 shades. However, the results may appear in 3 months. You have to rinse your mouth for a minute 2 times a day.
- Baking Soda – If you look online, baking soda emerges as a preferred choice. But you must know that baking soda can be too abrasive if it is not used correctly. You have to brush very softly while using baking soda and have to be extremely careful when you are cleaning the areas near your gums. However, baking soda helps remove stains from your teeth.
#2 Natural Methods
- Strawberries – Strawberries contain malic acid that gently cleans your teeth. You can consider brushing your teeth with freshly crushed strawberries to whiten them. However, rinse your mouth thoroughly as this acid can harm your teeth.
- Baking Soda And Lemon – Lemon is highly acidic and using it with baking soda can help lighten the shade of your teeth. The citric acid in the lemon will fade those stains while baking soda will help scrub off plaque deposits. But this mixture is highly abrasive and you must use it with precaution. For starters, you should not be too harsh and aggressive while brushing with this mixture. Then, if you feel itching and irritation near your gums, do not use it again. Rinse your mouth well after using this concoction.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – You can use diluted ACV to rinse your mouth in a big to fade those stains on your teeth. But ACV is also highly acidic and can erode your teeth’s enamel if it is not used rightly, which can increase the risk of developing sensitivity and tooth decay.
- Activated Charcoal – This component has suddenly jumped into everything from shampoos to face washes to toothpaste. The idea of using activated charcoal is that this highly-absorbent substance binds with dirt and bacteria in your teeth and as you wash this component off, those harmful bacteria also get washed away with it. So, stains from coffee, wine, and plaque can be treated using activated charcoal.
#3 Everyday Habits
- Discoloration of teeth cannot be stopped but if you eat the right foods, it can be delayed and controlled. The natural teeth whitening foods mentioned below can help retain your white, bright smile as well as prevent stains.
- Pineapple – This exotic fruit has bromelain and it is the only source of this cleaning and anti-inflammatory compound, which effectively eliminates surface stains from your teeth.
- Cauliflower, Broccoli, And Other Coarse Vegetables – Coarse vegetables are high in fiber, which means they require a lot of chewing. You will produce more saliva if you chew more, which will break down the stains on your teeth. Also, these fiber-rich vegetables may help scrape away stains.
- Onions – Onions have sulfur compounds that keep plaque from forming on the teeth. Plaque absorbs stains, contributes to gum disease, and makes them more noticeable.
- Dairy Products – Dairy products contain lactic acid as well as increase saliva production, which breaks down teeth stains.
- Celery And Carrots – These vegetables have high water content, which removes food debris from the teeth. The structure of these vegetables also scrubs teeth while you chew and fade the stains.
- Seeds And Nuts – Eating nuts and seeds are not only beneficial for your overall health but also for your oral health. These snacks contain natural exfoliating agents. Moreover, their abrasive texture strips stains as well as discoloration on your teeth.
- Avoid Smoking – Heavy smokers tend to have darker and crippled teeth, deeper gums, and foul odors. The components in smoke tend to get deposited on the teeth and damage them over time. If you want to protect your oral health, quit smoking.
- Drink Plenty of Water – If you drink plenty of water during the day, food particles that get stuck in the teeth will loosen and flow away with water.
Teeth whitening can be a major concern because methods to whiten teeth can be abrasive and deteriorate your oral health if you do not follow them properly. The best way for ensuring teeth whitening is to prevent discoloration and buildup of stains by using the methods mentioned above.