Not having a peaceful night of sleep can negatively affect your health and well-being. And believe it or not, one of the major reasons why most people don’t get good sleep is because of the mattress they sleep on. Owning a good mattress can also enhance your bone and spine health.
However, getting a good mattress is also not a simple task. The ideal mattress for a friend might not be the ideal mattress for you, because every person requires a different kind of mattress.
Which is the best mattress for you?
The process to zero in on the best mattress depends on a number of factors, including the type of mattress, its firmness, weight, and your sleeping position among others.
1- Types of mattresses
The first step to buying a suitable mattress is to know about the different types. There are different types of mattresses available in the market. Each one is suitable for specific types of sleepers and has distinct characteristics to it that you may or may not like. Here are the conventional types that you will find in stores, and you can choose one based on your preference.
- Memory foam: Memory foam mattresses are a combination of memory foam and spring. The spring is maintained to provide support to your body while you rest on it. The foam is made of viscoelastic, which is why it molds into the shape of your body. Over time, the mattress also starts to recognize your sleeping positions; thus the name “memory foam”. Memory foams are good for side sleepers as they evenly distribute the body weight. They have also been found to release pressure from painful pressure points. This is why a Durfi mattress is often recommended by orthopedics to their patients, to get relief from back pain.
- Innerspring: Innerspring mattresses are primarily made of high-quality steel coils that make them firmer than memory foam mattresses. The coils form a support system that makes them sturdy to provide enough support to the resting body. They are also covered with foams on top, to make the surface comfortable for the users. They are bouncier, more durable, and more affordable than memory foam.
- Pillow-top mattress: Pillow-top mattresses are a subset of innerspring mattresses. They are firm and bouncy, but the additional layer of padding that’s sewn on the top of them makes them different. The padding serves as pillows. These mattresses are good for most types of sleepers and provide a pain-relieving effect.
- Hybrid: Hybrid mattresses combine a steel coil system with an additional layer of foam. They retain less body heat, which is a great perk. They are also suitable for all types of sleeping positions.
- Latex: As the name suggests, all the layers of a latex mattress are made of latex, combined with some natural fillings. They are eco-friendly and low maintenance.
- Airbed: Airbeds have an adjustable air chamber at the core that gives the users the ultimate fitness flexibility. They are covered by padding of foam and fiber to provide additional comfort.
The firmness of your mattress needs to be determined depending on your body weight and sleeping position. If you weigh around 60 kgs, you should go for soft mattresses if you’re a side sleeper, and firm mattresses if you sleep on your back or stomach. If you weigh around 100 kgs, then soft mattresses are not an option. You can go for more firm ones.
3- Sleeping positions
It is essential that you choose your mattress depending on what position you sleep in.
- Side sleepers: Because side sleepers have sharp points around their shoulders and hip regions, soft to medium soft foam mattresses can be ideal for them.
- Back sleepers: If you are a back sleeper, firm mattresses are the way to go. They provide ample support to your back and can also help with lower back pain. Innerspring or latex mattresses could be excellent options.
- Stomach sleepers: Stomach sleepers should also opt for firmer mattresses to take care of their spine health. It also allows more oxygen intake.
Get your favorite mattress and more with zero down payment at the Bajaj Finserv EMI Store or any online mattress store. All the products are available at convenient no-cost EMIs and get delivered to you within 24 hours of placing the order.