Did you know that in 2016 Nike sold on average 25 pairs of sneakers every second?
This crazy statistic shows that new shoes, especially Nikes, are one of the most valuable fashion accessories a person can have.
However, after you have invested in your new Nikes, you then have a responsibility to keep them looking as new as possible for as long as possible. This is not always easy.
This is especially true if you are a runner and run through dusty or muddy tracks each day.
How can you keep your new shoes looking as good as new? Why not follow our article to find out.
Cleaning Fabric Sneakers
We are going to talk about cleaning fabric sneakers today. However, you can apply these methods to any kind of fabric-based footwear. This could include sandals or even pumps and flats.
The same principles can be applied to new shoes coming on the market. After all, when you check out the new sneaker releases for this year, you know you will want to keep them looking as good as new.
What Do I Need in My Cleaning Kit?
In your basic sneaker cleaning kit you will need the following:
- Dishwasher detergent
- Warm water
- Toothbrush (hard soft-bristled or both)
- Drying materials – preferably paper towels
To save you time and effort you could keep these items in a spare shoe box ready to clean your shoes on a weekly or monthly basis.
To quickly and effectively clean your shoes you can do the following:
- First, use a paper towel to remove any obvious dirt from the fabric. Try not to press the dirt into the fabric.
- Next mix one teaspoon of detergent with 2 cups of warm water
- Using your toothbrush and this cleaning solution, lightly scrub the fabric areas. Be careful not to overwet the fabric. Ensure that you cover the whole shoe to attain an even color.
- Next use paper towels to dab dry the shoe. You may need to cover the whole shoe several times.
- Leave the hoes in a warm dry location away from direct sunlight. If the inside of the shoe is damp, you can push paper towels into the inner toes of the shoe and leave them there to dry.
A few hours later you will have dry shoes that look as good as new.
What Not To Do
You may have read on the internet that you can simply put sneakers into a washing machine to clean them. Major shoe companies don’t recommend this.
The movement in the machine can cause unnecessary wear on the shoes and the water temperature can cause the glue to corrode. It is better to stick with the more gentle cleaning methods outlined above.
That’s How to Keep New Shoes Looking New!
Your new shoes are more than just protection for your feet. They are an expression of your personality and you will want to keep them looking great. If you are a runner you will want to take the mud off your shoes ready for your next run.
Keeping your shoes clean is a great way to keep your feet looking good and lengthen the life of your investment.
If you would like to learn more about lifestyle and clothing topics, keep tabs on our blog.