Any Windows user would know that encountering errors is common while using this software. api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error is one of the most common errors faced by Windows users. The screen displays the following message: “The program cannot start because Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing. You can try fixing this problem by reinstalling the application.
Numerous factors may contribute to the occurrence of this error. It may be possible that you accidentally removed a vital file or third-party software is interfering with the software. However, you need not worry! The reasons for this common error and its solutions are explained in this article.
Why Does This Error Occur?
Api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is included in Microsoft Visual Studio 2015, the program’s latest version. This DLL file must be downloaded and installed in the relevant directory. Fraudulent websites might offer malicious DLL files, so steer clear of them. Make sure to download files only from reputable sources.
In case you run into these errors, you may get error messages that include:
- File not found
- “File is missing.”
- “Missing Api-ms-wi-crt-runtime_l1-1-0.dll”. Reinstalling the application might solve the issue.
- “File could not be located.” The app needs to be reinstalled.
What Can Be Done To Resolve This Problem?
Almost every software on your system relies on the DLL file, and thus, reinstalling it might solve the problem. Use Windows Defender and a third-party antivirus program to check for malicious software and viruses.
Reinstall the program that displays the error message. In most cases, a software reinstall is all that’s required to fix bugs. If the issue still continues, follow the below-mentioned steps.
Windows needs to be updated
After reinstalling the program, a new api-ms-win-crt-runtime-1-1-0.dll file gets installed automatically. After that, make sure to update your windows. Follow the below mentioned steps to do so:
- Go to Windows Configuration.
- After that, click on Update & Security. In this section, you can configure Windows Updates and set a schedule for receiving updates automatically.
- Allow Windows 10 to detect and apply any necessary updates automatically.
Install the Visual Studio 2015 Redistributable for Microsoft Visual C++
If you do not wish to update Windows, you can download Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 instead. Doing so will install the required file.
- Go to the official website of the software and then click on download.
- You will be redirected to a page. Now, select your system configurations and press the next button.
- The download will begin on its own. Once the download is complete, double-click on the vc redist.x86.exe or vc redist.x64.exe file to begin the installation process.
- Once the installer is launched, you must agree to the terms of the license agreement. After you’ve checked the “I agree” box, click the Install button.
- Next, Microsoft’s software license agreement window will appear. You can grant the app administrator privileges by clicking Yes.
The app will be installed and once it is done you will see a pop-up with the message “Setup Complete”.
Remember, if you live in a country where these files are illegal, you should not download them. Most countries, including the United States, have DMCA laws and restrictions that make downloading these files from a third-party website dangerous.
Copy DLL Files From Another Device
This file can also be easily obtained from another computer or you can install it into your laptop via a Pendrive. If you don’t have an active internet connection, this step is ideal for you to fix the error.
The Last Word
This DLL problem is common among Windows users. If you follow these instructions, you should be able to resolve the problem. You must get your computer checked by an expert if the problem persists.