The internet has been one medium connecting people all around the world. Besides entertainment, the masses are using it for several things, including shopping. This makes now the best time for any small or medium-sized company to invest in building an online presence. Nevertheless, that gives rise to one question, is it profitable?
Now, the e-commerce industry is the only thing that’s running best. Only in the last month both traffic and demands for online shopping websites have considerably increased. With such a steep graph, it won’t be long before online shopping becomes the only way for businesses.
What Are Some Benefits Of Moving An Offline Business To Online Platforms?
Before moving your offline shop to the web, look at the benefits.
- Firstly, managing an online company is far easier than an offline one. Not only can you operate from anywhere in the world, but all you have to worry about is your products and inventory. The rest is taken care of by the web development company you hire.
- Secondly, there is a much lower cost of operation than a brick and mortar store. You do not need to rent out a physical space or hire a team of employees, except for a web development agency.
- Thirdly, there is no designated opening or closing time. Since you can work from home or even your car, there is no requirement to reach the store at a certain point or even get back from it. This further helps in reaching more customers who live in different countries with different time zones.
- With more control and scalability, an online medium helps your company reach a larger audience anywhere in the world. You can own a shop in India but make a sale in the United States and vice versa. Such benefits can never be available with a brick and mortar store.
- Lastly, with an online medium, it is much easier to track your company’s performance. You will know which ad campaign did the best and which product is the most loved by your customers. Experienced web developers use algorithms that provide you with precise numbers. With this information, you can influence your marketing strategies to attract more leads.
Steps To Move Your Offline Company To An Online Setting
There are five basic steps to shift your whole company from a physical store to an online platform.
1. Buy a domain name
The first step involved in moving your business online is choosing a domain name. Preferably, it should match your company name. Sometimes that is not available, so you should choose a name that your customers can easily recall.
2. Create a website
With a registered domain name in hand, it is time to start developing your website. For that, you need to choose a hosting platform. It is best to consider your selling expectations before deciding which software or platform will best suit you.
For instance, if you have an interior design service, a blog can establish credibility in the market. If you plan on selling products through your website, you will need an e-commerce platform.
3. Work on web design
Although many site-building platforms offer you templates to choose from, it is best if you hire a web designer for this. They will not only be more original and creative but with their experience, they can efficiently guide you through the process as well. Nonetheless, you want to make sure that the website is easy to navigate for your customers and reflects the personality of your brand.
4. Decide the inventory
Another important thing to do when moving from offline to online platforms is to decide what you want to sell from your current offerings. It is best to start with your top-selling items and other products that customers inquire about or request the most. This will help you gain rapid popularity in the market while keeping your storage costs to a minimum.
5. Legalize everything
If your online business operates under a different name than your existing business, you will need to get a Doing Business As (DBA) license. Along with that, you will need to register for an Employee Identification Number (EIN), which permits the IRS to tax your transactions.
How To Go About Choosing The Right Developer For Your Company?
Although these steps might seem easy, for any first-timer, they can be daunting. If you are not experienced with creating a website, you should hire web developers who are well-skilled and have the expertise to finish this job. Mentioned further are some steps that can help you find the best web developer near you.
Specify your business type and challenges
Web developers can have several specialties. While one might be more accustomed to developing a simple web project, another can be more prone to building the best e-commerce site. Before you make your final decision, you should consult all your shortlisted web developers and talk to them about your business. Once you find the one who has the same vision, you will know that is your person.
Discuss developer skills
There are three main kinds of website developers, front-end, full-stack, and back-end. While front-end developers are more known for making changes in the front of your website, meaning the part which the visitors interact with, back-end developers are responsible for the website structure and how it functions.
If you hire a WordPress consultant, they will be more suitable for the algorithms and coding, whereas a website designer will be able to help you with how your website looks.
A full-stack developer is experienced with both front and back-end development. These specialists are most helpful for start-ups and small businesses that have limited resources. Although full-stack developers often charge more, compared to hiring two sets of developers, this saves you money in the long run.
Now you know how to switch to an online shop from offline and opt for the right developers. So it is high time that you make the switch and make your presence felt on the web. Start and move slowly at the beginning, and once everything comes into your grip, there is no looking back!