Who doesn’t want the ability to influence their mood at a flick of a switch? This is exactly what you can do with mood lighting, and you can use neon signs for that. Accomplishing this comes down to the color, location, and quantity. However, if you want it done right, you will need to keep a few things in mind.
It’s All About Colors
Color is one of the biggest points of consideration when you are making mood lighting. It’s what will influence the emotions of people the most. Brightness comes next and is then followed by the design of the sign itself.
Generally speaking, colors can activate your brain’s chemicals and impact what hormones are released at what level. This is why you need to think about what color you will choose for which room and why. Just for reference, take a look at the following:
- Warm Colors – This includes red, orange, and yellow. Depending on how they are combined, they can evoke feelings of optimism and motivation. They can also help if you currently feel down in the dumps.
- Cool Colors – Green, blue, and purple make up this category of hues and they are meant to provide a soothing atmosphere. They relax you and help alleviate the tension that you have in your mind and body.
- Happy Colors – These are the colors that can have an uplifting effect by raising your mood. Pink and other pastel colors like lilac or peach are great for this kind of thing. They’re great for girls’ rooms, both kids and teens.
- Sad Colors – Naturally, sad colors are those that evoke more subdued emotions. Deep blues, greys, and beige are good examples. Black and violet can do this too
- Calming Colors – Calming colors are those that are meant to help with stormy emotions. When angry, you become calm. When panicking, you become relaxed. When sad, you feel relieved. As for what colors to use, baby blues, white, and light green can work.
- Energizing Colors – Then there are energizing colors, which are meant to inject life into people. They are perfect for parties, sleepovers, and other events that involve crowds. Bright yellows, magenta, and hot pink are great examples of these colors
Choose from any one of those to make your day brighter, calmer, more relaxed, or more upbeat. You can get more information about that when you check out. The choice is yours.
Placement is Everything
Where you put the neon sign will decide a lot of things. Chief among them is the type of neon light you will get. For wall-mounted varieties, you can take your pick from every design, shape, and color imaginable. For corners, ceilings, and underneath furniture, your choices become more limited.
The other thing that the placement of the neon lights will affect is their impact on your mood. Wall-mounted signs place them directly in your line of sight. They will grab your attention and will likely have a more obvious influence over your mood.
Ambient lighting arrangements, however, are more about the atmosphere. They will submerge you in the mood that they are meant to convey. This makes them an experience, while wall-mounted neon signs can be seen as events.
They can affect your thoughts and feelings but they do so in different ways. This is what you will need to consider when making your choice.
As to what could influence your decision to choose one or the other, it will depend on what you want. Mood lighting is largely a series of choices for you after answering a few questions like the following:
- Is it for parties and events?
- Is it just for you?
- Is it for private use?
- Is it just part of an interior decor theme?
- Is it for therapeutic reasons?
- Is it for a job?
- Is it for other members of the family?
Those are just some of the questions that you need to ask yourself. After you have answered them, you can then make your choice.
A Question of Quantity
With all of that said, the final matter that you need to pay attention to is how many neon lights you need. You are well within your rights to fill every room in your house with all types of neon signs. They can be of every color, brightness, shape, design, and size too.
However, there is such a thing as going overboard. For context, in terms of interior decoration, balance is one of the most important core concepts. To that end, you want to take a few things into consideration:
- The size of the room
- The decor
- The furniture
- The type of room
- The expected uses of the room
- Your preferences
To be clear, you don’t need to turn on every single neon light that is placed in a single room. You can literally switch them up based on what type of mood you want to be in. However, if you have too many of them, even the ones that are turned off can be an eyesore.
Neon signs are among the most effective decorative items to influence people’s moods. Use them right and they make anyone sad, happy, peppy, melancholic, and calm. To do this, you need to choose the right colors, placements, and number of neon signs.