We have all heard about liposuction surgery. However, many people think that this surgery is designed to lose weight, but that is completely false. It can help you tone down your body, but it should not be seen as a weight loss procedure.
Compared to the liposuction in the past, today you can expect much better results with fewer risks. You can check out the liposuction in Sydney cost if you are interested, or talk to your local doctor instead. If you wish to learn more about liposuction and whether this procedure is for you, just continue reading.
Liposuction can help you lose stubborn fat
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that can help you tone your body. It removes fat from certain areas of the body with the suction technique. Usually, people will have liposuction done on the hips, buttocks, arms, neck, abdomen, or thighs. You can have liposuction surgery done almost anywhere on the body.
This is not to be confused with a weight-loss method or alternative. Candidates for this surgery are people who have a good weight or are a bit overweight. However, if you are overweight, you might be asked to lose weight before you can go through with the procedure.
Why is liposuction done?
Since it is not a weight loss treatment, why is liposuction done? It is done to help you tone some areas of your body. There are certain areas that have stubborn fat, which does not want to go away no matter how much you exercise. Some of the most common areas are the upper arms, calves and ankles, hips and thighs, abdomen, buttocks, and others.
Sometimes, liposuction can be the chosen method for breast reduction and gynecomastia surgery. Liposuction can help start your weight loss, but only if your area is already close to your ideal weight. It is more designed to affect only certain areas in your body.
As we gain weight, the fat cells in our body will increase in volume and size. Liposuction will reduce the number of fat cells in certain body areas. The amount of fat that is removed will depend on the appearance of the area and the overall fat.
Know the risks!
Just like with any other major surgery, liposuction does carry some risks. There is always the risk of bleeding and reaction to anesthesia that every other surgery carries. But, here are a couple of more specific risks:
- Fluid accumulation – you might have to deal with temporary pockets of fluid that can form under your skin. This fluid will often be dealt with by draining them with a needle.
- Contour irregularities – after the procedure, you might notice that your skin feels a bit wavy or bumpy, and that can happen due to uneven fat removal or poor elasticity of the skin. These changes could be permanent. A good way to avoid this is to find a good doctor, so check out My Cosmetic Clinic or do your research locally.
- Infection and numbness – you might experience temporary numbness in the affected area, as well as nerve irritation. Keep in mind that that numbness could become permanent. You could also deal with skin infections, even though they are quite rare.
- Fat embolism – if pieces of loosened fat become trapped in a blood vessel, they can gather in the lungs and eventually travel to the brain. This is a medical emergency.
Are you a good candidate?
If you are interested in going through the liposuction procedure but you are not really sure whether you are a good candidate or not, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- You need to be close to your ideal weight or your ideal weight to be a good candidate.
- Your skin must be firm, and elastic, and you should have good muscle tone.
- You should not be a smoker.
- You must be overall healthy without any life-threatening illnesses or conditions that can affect the healing process.
- Your mindset needs to be positive and realistic.
Maintaining a healthy diet afterward is important
Recovering from liposuction
It is normal to feel pain after the procedure. You will also experience swelling and bruising, but everything within normal. If something feels too extreme, make sure that you contact your doctor. You will be prescribed some medications to help with the pain, and antibiotics that will reduce the infection risks. You’ll have to wait at least a week before you can return to work.
Liposuction can do wonders for your confidence, especially if you just have some parts of your body you’d like to alter. It can help you get rid of your double-chin, arm fat, belly fat, and other imperfections. However, you need to have realistic expectations, because this is not a magical procedure.