Finally, an article that’s dedicated to men! Dressing has always been one of the major concerns of men. Of course, there are guys who really know how to clothe and they’ll do this effortlessly. The rest, notwithstanding, will rely on their instincts, but for time’s sake, let’s not go there for now. Without going into the details, men naturally like casual wear.
This is because it gives them a chance to express the macho inside them. It could be something that’s down to earth or sleek casual wear that allows you to express your own style. The problem, however, has to be about combining different styles, colors, patterns, and textures to achieve the desired look.
The best thing about casual wear is that in most cases, you’ll not have to focus too much on formalities. But there are instances, as you’ll come to learn, that casual wear can be worn in a way that allows you to maintain a certain degree of finesse. This means that you can still maintain that professional look even when in casual wear.
Casual wear allows flexibility and freedom. It’s a dress code that is most preferred by men who for lack of a better term, hate to be confined within a specific fashion statement. To help you out, below are men’s fashion tips for a casual yet sophisticated look.
1. The T-Shirt Rule
T-shirts play a crucial role in a man’s wardrobe. They are versatile, easy to wear, and they match with almost anything, whether its denim jeans, chinos, or corduroy pants. T-shirts are the perfect symbolism for casual. But for that perfect look, it’s important to follow the t-shirt rules. Adam White from Jasper Holland Co says that a grown man can look classy in a t-shirt as long as the fit is right and the design is minimal. Here, the first rule is to consider t-shirts that are simplistic in design. Let’s take a look at other simple rules when it comes to wearing t-shirts, they include:
- Wearing printed t-shirts – Printed tees are for men who want to give their looks more character. Nevertheless, you want to choose tees with fewer prints as this can have a negative impact on your overall look. They go well with jeans of contrasting colors. For instance, white printed tees go well with blue jeans and grays on blue.
- Striped t-shirts – These are the same as printed tees, but it’s the geometric print that makes them different. When wearing striped tees, avoid striped pants by all means. You don’t want to look like you are reenacting a prison break movie.
- Long-sleeved t-shirts – These work well during the cold seasons. Long-sleeved tees look great when they hug the body. This will give you a more masculine look and it’s even incredible when combined with the right pants and sneakers.
2. Pants for a Sophisticated Casual Look
The type of pants you choose will ultimately determine your overall look and what you intend to achieve. For a more sophisticated casual look, consider pants that are less conservative and instead, go for retro styles. These include:
- Chinos – These are great choices for that smart casual look because chino pants are comfortable, especially when worn with dressy tees.
- Darker Denims – Lighter denim pants will in a way refract the attention on what you are wearing above the waist and this is not the effect you want to achieve. You also want people to admire your strong calves by providing an all-rounded, complete effect of your fashion statement. Darker denims are more appealing when worn with lighter tees, dark blazers, and contrasting scarfs. Light pull necks will also go well with dark denims.
- Khakis – These types of pants will go well with polos, henleys, and sweaters. You can pull out a more sophisticated look by wearing a chambray button-downs on khaki pants and leather boots.
Men have no problem with picking casual shoes. The problem is with men who think that sports shoes can be a replacement for other types of casual shoes. Having a broad selection of colors, materials, and functionality can help to provide you with options depending on the look you want to achieve. Sneakers are a great option but you also have leather boots, loafers, chukka boots, Chelsea boots, and moccasin-top boots. Whatever your inclinations, ensure to wear bright shoes with neutral colors on top.
The best thing about accessories is that you have the option of creating your unique style and still pull off a great look. However, men’s accessories are different from those of their female counterparts. As a man, the idea is to be as simple as you can. Among the accessories that can help to elevate your sophisticated casual look include leather belts, leather-strapped watches, and bracelets to mention but a few. With accessories, you can decide to go all-in or have a minimalistic approach depending on the occasion, mood, or how you want those around you to perceive you. But when it comes to a sophisticated look, wear minimal accessories.
Additional Styling Tips
Consider Clothes That Fit
You can pull off the perfect style but miss out on how your clothes fit. Too tight and you’ll be uncomfortable and too loose and you’ll look sloppy. Consider wears that are a perfect fit.
Consider the Occasion
Paying close attention to the people you’ll be mingling with, the environment and the mood should be your priority when selecting your outfits. It’s important to have an understanding of what is expected of you because you don’t want to turn up in a casual event wearing corporate attire.
Take Good Care of Your Clothes
To maintain your clothes’ colors, elasticity, and looking brand new, follow the manufacturer’s washing instructions and care labels. Use the right hangers, have your clothes dry cleaned, and well-pressed.
As it is with acquiring various products, it’s important to consider the brand of clothes you choose for your personal style. Choose brands that are trusted in terms of quality and durability. With fashion, it’s about choosing the designs that fit into your personal style.