What is Modvigil?
Modvigil is a common generic brand of the drug Modafinil. It belongs to a class of drugs known as eugeroics, which is a class of medications that enhance alertness and wakefulness. For this purpose, Modafinil is known as a ‘cognitive enhancer’ and a ‘wakefulness enhancer’. It is meant for use by patients suffering from narcolepsy and conditions of excessive sleepiness.
It is also used to manage attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), work shift disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea. It usually comes in the form of 200 mg or 100 mg tablets prescribed one to two times daily. The drug does not cure the above conditions or get rid of sleep. The mechanism of action of the drug is not fully known. It is associated with a change in the levels of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain, controls mood, pleasure, alertness, memory, and many other functions in the body.
History of Modvigil.
The brand was originally manufactured by a pharmaceutical company in India known as HAB Pharmaceuticals. The drug Modafinil was discovered in France through experimental studies in narcoleptic patients in 1986. After conclusive studies, the FDA approved the drug in 1998. The French pharmaceutical company responsible for developing the drug patented the generic brands and the brand name Modafinil would be sold under. HAB pharmaceuticals bought the right to start producing their generic brand of the drug, which is currently known as Modvigil. HAB Pharma collaborates with online pharmacies such as DrModafinil.com where users can directly buy Modvigil.
Effects of Modvigil
Despite its ability to promote wakefulness and alertness, the drug is associated with several side effects. Some common side effects include headaches, nervousness, nausea, dizziness, indigestion, diarrhea, sleeping difficulties, and a running nose.
The drug can also decrease the potency of certain substances like drugs if patients take them concurrently. Some of the substances include:
- Hormonal contraceptives such as pills and implants. The drug renders hormonal contraceptives ineffective and can make a woman get pregnant. Doctors recommend the use of other forms of contraception while on the drug. The patient can, however, resume hormonal contraception a month or two after the last dose.
- Caffeine. Taking caffeine while on the drug increases the severity of its side effects.
- It increases the elimination of certain drugs like ritonavir, axitinib, and ombitasvir. This implies that the doctor needs to increase the dose and frequency at which the patient takes these drugs if they are using Modvigil concurrently.
This smart drug is widely used in the market by students and workers. Some reviews of Modvigil from users of the drug include:
- Patients find it a good choice because it is affordable and is covered by certain healthcare insurance companies.
- A particular patient claims that using the drug for a year helped boost his memory and enables him to remember people and things that he could previously not remember.
- Some patients using the drug claim that it did not help in relieving fatigue or narcolepsy. Instead, the drug only gave the patients constant headaches forcing them to opt for an alternative drug.
- The drug enhanced the productivity of office workers who used to sleep on the job.
- One patient who has two part-time jobs and also attends college started using the drug to stay awake and alert in class and at work. The drug has helped him boost both work and school performance.
- A certain firefighter admitted that he and his crew use the drug when they are running long night shifts. Since most fires occur at night, the drug helps them stay alert to attend to each fire break out case reported.
- One college student had poor grades because of a lack of focus in class. After starting the medication, the student’s grades improved and she is now on top of her class.