Water is a priceless resource that aids human survival. How would we clean our dishes, do the laundry, or have a shower without it?
While we need a steady supply at our place, we also have to uphold our ethical responsibility. We need to ensure there are no water leaks that put our property at threat of flooding and cause wastage. Doing this ensures the greater good for both us and the environment.
Excessive water leaks in the plumbing system can be debilitating for the infrastructure and cause property damage. Therefore, it is best to mitigate water leak issues before they escalate beyond control. Instead of letting everything become chaotic, being proactive is better.
The Issue of Water Leaks
Did you know that an average household from the USA wastes about 180 gallons per week? In other words, more than 9400 gallons of water are lost annually! This phenomenal loss of resources is disappointing and should ideally never happen.
Ask any homeowner who has faced water damage in the past; things get ugly before you can process what happened. Such homeowners regret being careless about their responsibilities towards maintaining water fixtures. Not only do they lose their precious belongings, but they witness costly damage to the infrastructure. It makes financial sense in the long term to be vigilant about possible leaks in the plumbing infrastructure.
Financial considerations aside, it is even ethically more viable to eradicate leaks! Therefore, be determined to implement beneficial strategies against potential water damage.
The Symptoms of Water Leaks
Water leaks in a plumbing system can be detected if you play your part responsibly.
Firstly, it is mandatory to keep an eye out on red flags, which should raise suspicion for water leaks. These signs typically include:
- Spikes in water bills: When water wastage occurs, you will have to pay more than what you would typically pay for a month.
- Sound of running water: An unexplainable sound of water flowing can indicate a water leak, therefore, be alert.
- Damp flooring and carpets: Leaking water can make its way to the flooring, which will make things awkward around the home.
- Foul Odor: Water leaks may bolster the growth of mold and mildew. If you smell something odd, look around the home and try to figure out the source.
- Cracking on the walls: Water leaks can compromise the integrity of the structure and cause visible cracks. This terrifying situation requires professional intervention.
If you want to confirm your suspicion, more advanced water leak detection methods may be required.
Water Leak Detection Methods
With evolving technology, it has become easier to identify and eliminate water leaks from water systems. These useful methods include:
- Video Camera Pipe Inspection: Cameras can be used to record in-line drain and sewer issues. This procedure allows the identification of all problematic plumbing fixtures.
- Hydrostatic Pressure Test: This test aims to figure out the presence of water leaks in the underground plumbing.
- Slab Leak Detection: This can involve multiple steps like the use of line tracing equipment and camera pipe inspection.
- Electronic Listening Devices: These gadgets allow technicians to hear water leaks in the water lines. It can pinpoint the exact location.
- Static Leak Isolation: This procedure involves hydrostatic pressure testing and determines sections of the slab sewer where the leak occurs.
- Digital Water Leak Detection: These electronic devices will be able to reveal water leaks throughout the plumbing system.
Actions You Could Take
As a homeowner, you must go around the property and try to identify problem areas that may have water leaks. Be mindful of freezing pipes, deteriorating water lines, clogged drains, and leaky roofs. Don’t take the issue lightly as water leaks can’t just be overseen. They can throw an entire home in disarray, especially if there is a slab leak.
Water leaks can overwhelm the property with the damage it causes. Therefore, it is a good idea to go for a routine plumbing inspection every two years. Not only will the professional be able to identify current issues, but he will also deter future ones. However, it is crucial to hire the right service providers as amateurs are not worth hiring.
To prevent future leaks from occurring, you may consider investing in water leak detection equipment.
Finding a Reputable Leak Detection Service
If you suspect there are water leaks in your system, it is in your best interest to get professional help. However, this will only benefit you if you hire a reputable leak detection firm. Therefore, take responsibility and do proper research before you hire any company.
The market is full of service providers trying to make a mark, and you can find them easily. Even a simple Google search can help you find a trustworthy Austin leak detection firm. However, it is vital to go through reviews to develop an understanding of the firm.
Try to research for companies and make a list of all the ones that interest you. You could even call them and gather estimates. However, you must be careful about any offer that seems a little too good to be true because it probably is a scam. Don’t jump for the cheapest deal you get because the company may be amateurish.
Water leaks can be detrimental to the infrastructure of a home at large. Luckily, there are many detection methods available because of innovations in technology. Sit back and relax as you can rely on slab leak detection, video camera inspection, and electronic listening devices. Whatever you do, only hire a reputable water leak detection firm. Otherwise, you will face disappointment and water damage!