Most of us know it only by its brand name, but Sildenafil Citrate is the main ingredient used in drugs for the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED). After nearly three decades since the emergence of Sildenafil for ED, and since it hit the markets, numerous studies have been done, revealing both its pros and cons. In most cases, it works well and has changed people’s lives for the better
It was originally developed by scientists in the United Kingdom to test high blood pressure. While the testing for hypertension was less than remarkable, an unexpected side effect proved to be the main feature, where male patients who were undergoing the testing all had an erectile response to the drug. After further testing in this area, the rest is history, and the pill was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1998, making it the first oral type of treatment for ED in the USA.
How the drug works
Basically, ED is caused because of a lack of blood flow to the penis. The medication allows blood vessels to relax and expand, leading to increased blood flow into the penis. The manufacturers of the drug recommend taking it one hour before having sex because the maximum concentration of Sildenafil in the blood isn’t reached until about an hour after taking it for men to begin experiencing erections. Every four hours after taking it, there’s only half as much of the drug left.
That’s the basic history and use of the drug, and since it’s been on the market for so long, enough detailed studies have been done it to come out with conclusions of the benefits and risks of it. So let’s start with its benefits.
- Easy – Unless you prefer getting injected into the penis, which most guys wouldn’t, being in the form of a tablet, is the easiest and most convenient way to take medicine. Even easier than swallowing a tablet is chewing one. Not only is that simple, but one source wrote that chewing also makes it take effect much faster in comparison to ED pills you swallow since it’s absorbed quickly into the bloodstream. With a tablet you swallow, it takes around half an hour for the effect to happen. It’s not the best idea to take a tablet following a large meal since the effects can take a longer time to develop; going up to an hour. With chewable tablets, it only takes around 15 minutes. You can purchase them online after filling a 20-question health assessment questionnaire reviewed by professional doctors to make sure that you’re not at high risk of any side effects.
- Effective – Till now, Sildenafil citrate is presumed to have the most effective results in treating ED and significantly superior to other types of treatment.
- Duration – The effect can last for several hours. This doesn’t mean a man will have to walk around with an erection till the effect diminishes. It simply means that he will be able to have intercourse during that duration of time. But for the drugs to work, you need to be sexually aroused, so take some time to get into the mood for your senses to get turned on.
- Cost – The average cost could start at $20 for 5 chewable, which most people would agree is a steal for what you get in return. Compare that to seeing and getting treated by a doctor, for several sessions, perhaps, and you can see the bargain and why there is always a stampede to get to ED pills.
- No prescription – You can purchase tablets online with no prescription needed. While lots of guys will do that, it’s always better to make sure you have clearance from a doctor to take the drug. But it’s good to know that in almost all cases, these pills are generally safe for the average, healthy guy.
Having said that, any type of medicine carries its own risks as well, so it’s important to know the risks before you put anything unfamiliar into your body. Here are some side effects of Sidenafil Citrate.
- Nitrate drugs – The most common known risk is using Sidenafil while also on nitrate drugs. Men with heart conditions who take drugs known as nitrates can develop dangerously low blood pressure if they take ED pills as well. If you have an underlying medical condition, taking the pills can be a risk factor, so you need to know that you don’t have other ailments that could clash with the effects of other pills. The more risk factors you have for heart disease, such as smoking, obesity, diabetes, sedentary lifestyle, alcohol abuse, high cholesterol, and/or high blood pressure, the more problematic erection drugs can be.
- Headaches – Between 10% to 15% of men have complained of headaches. The headaches can be tied to the type and dose of ED medication being used. The dosage is based on your medical condition, response to treatment, and other medications you may be taking.
- Blurred vision – ED medicine can temporarily alter your eyesight and cause blurry vision. This can happen if you’ve gone over the recommended dose. Unless it has gone on longer than temporary, there is no need for alarm. The best advice is not to use these drugs recreationally or wildly.
- Flushes – Flushes are temporary periods of redness of the skin and can appear on the face as blotches or a rash. Again, this is a temporary side effect that is typically harmless.
With these reasonable warnings, millions and millions of patients have taken Sildenafil, nearly without any major incident.
The goal of using Sildenafil Citrate to treat ED is to be happy and make your partner happy and satisfied, not to misuse the drug. Many perfectly healthy men use these pills for recreational purposes. Some men who don’t have a dysfunction, but use them may also become psychologically addicted to the medication and depend on it to get an erection. Without creating an unneeded addition, it’s perfectly fine to use ED medicines to enhance performance or to perform better sexually.