Defensive driving is a course that helps drivers learn how to be more aware of their surroundings and better understand the risks involved with driving. It’s also an important step toward getting a discount on your car insurance policy, which can save you money every year.
Here are some of the benefits of taking a defensive driving course:
- You’ll learn how to avoid accidents and prevent road rage by following all traffic laws and keeping calm behind the wheel.
- Defensive driving courses will teach you how to handle emergency situations like avoiding slippery roads or being cut off by another driver.
- Taking this course can help lower your insurance rates because it shows that you’re responsible behind the wheel–but only if done correctly!
The Benefits of Defensive Driving
Most people think that defensive driving courses are just for those who have been ticketed or involved in an accident. This is not true! Defensive driving courses are beneficial for everyone, whether you’ve ever been pulled over or not.
In fact, many insurance companies offer discounts on your premiums if you complete a defensive driving course as part of their safe driver program. These discounts can be anywhere from 5% to 15%, depending on the company and type of vehicle that you drive (motorcycle vs car). The exact amount will depend on how much risk they perceive from having you as a customer compared with someone else who does not take these classes but has similar driving habits and history.
In some states, if you’ve been convicted of certain traffic violations, such as a DUI, you are required to obtain SR22 insurance in order to reinstate your driver’s license. Defensive driving helps you qualify for lower insurance premiums, such as SR22 insurance in California. Completing a defensive driving course can not only help you become a safer driver but can also demonstrate to your insurance provider and the DMV that you are taking proactive steps to improve your driving habits and reduce your risk of future incidents.
How to Find a Defensive Driving Course
- Online defensive driving courses are a great option for anyone who wants to take the course at their own pace, but they can be expensive.
- Local driving schools offer more flexibility in scheduling and location, but may not be as affordable as online courses.
- Community education centers are often free or low cost, but you’ll need to make an appointment and show up at their office during business hours (often between 8 AM and 5 PM).
- The National Safety Council (NSC) is a non-profit organization that promotes safety in various areas, including driving. They offer defensive driving courses that can be taken online or in person.
The Cost of Defensive Driving Courses
The cost of defensive driving courses varies depending on the type of course you choose. Online and in-person courses are available, with some providers offering both options.
The average cost of an online defensive driving course is $30-$50 per person. The average cost of an in-person defensive driving course is $40-$100 per person.
In addition to these fees, some providers offer discounts if you take two or more classes at once (e.g., “Buy Two Get One Free” or “Three Courses for the Price of Two”). Some states also have laws that require drivers who receive traffic citations to pay additional fees for their license reinstatement after suspension periods end; these fees may be waived if you complete a defensive driving course within certain time frames after receiving a citation or suspension notice from DMV officials.
How to Get a Car Insurance Discount After Taking a Defensive Driving Course
- Contact your insurance provider. You’ll need to contact your car insurance company and let them know that you’ve completed a defensive driving course, so they can issue you a discount.
- Provide proof of completion. Your provider may require proof that you have completed a defensive driving course before they will issue any discounts or credits for doing so (this is usually in the form of an official certificate from the school). If this is the case, make sure to bring it with you when contacting them about getting your discount!
- Apply for the discount after receiving confirmation from your provider that it’s been approved by them and applied directly to your account at no cost to yourself!