As an employer, you need to be able to find the best quality employees that are out there and you’re not going to find them by just sitting back on your laurels and waiting for them to apply. It is a challenging situation and it’s one that you must embrace because your business needs the right kind of people with the skills that you need and the qualities that your business is looking for.
You could of course advertise online and in the local tabloids reaching out to prospective employees in the local area, but there are many other things that you need to be doing as well so that you can find these people more effectively and efficiently.
If you are an employer looking for employees then you need to use all of the tools that are currently available to you and that will include online ones and off-line methods as well. The technology is there for you to use so don’t ignore it, but don’t forget about the tried and tested methods of finding good people as well.
It’s all about expanding the net so that you can find the best skills, the more motivated and people who are going to stay with your business for a long period and even up to their retirement.
With this in mind, the following are just some of the top tips that an employer needs to know about in Australia when looking for the best employees that are out there.
- Look over CVs regularly – Employers get many applications from prospective employees all the time and even when you don’t advertise positions, the more motivated people out there will be sending you their resumes anyway. Just because you were not hiring, you’ve probably put them in a filing cabinet somewhere and forgot all about them. It’s time to start looking through these applications again because that could be the perfect employee out there just waiting for you to contact them.
- Look inside your business – It seems only natural that you would expect applications from outside your institution but don’t forget about the people who already work for you and who maybe want to climb the ladder of success. You need to get the message out there that you are keen to promote within and you already know the people who work for you so there is bound to be someone who is standing out from the rest. This will help you to reduce employee turnover because staff leave because they are not presented with new opportunities.
- Take advantage of social media – There are a number of popular social media platforms that you can advertise certain positions on and this widens your scope and allows you to reach out to literally thousands of people all the time. Tell your staff about the positions and encourage them to share the information. You should always make yourself available to these prospective employees so that you can answer any questions that they might have about the position.
- Don’t always insist on work experience – There are some excellent potential employees out there who can’t get a chance to get on the employment ladder because they are just starting off and so they lack the experience that you are looking for. There is no reason to think that they don’t have the skills and the personality that you are looking for and unless the position that you are hiring for needs specific experience, open yourself up to the possibility that candidates that have just graduated from university or have just left high school might be the perfect people for the job.
- Turn to your current employees – There will be people out there who love working for your company and so these are the people that you need to reach out to in order to get the word out there that your company is hiring and that you are a great employer to work for. You might even want to consider setting up some kind of reward program where a current employee puts forward someone for a position and if they are successful then you can offer them some kind of gift or bonus.
The important thing is to make sure that people know that you are hiring at any particular time so really take the time to create a job description and job specification that is too hard to ignore. Be sure to specify the exact type of position that needs to be filled so that there is no ambiguity and that potential employees are not confused as to what you want. Don’t ignore the old methods like job boards to find the perfect employee.