Visitors from all over the world choose Washington DC as their next travel destination for a plethora of reasons. The US capital is home to some of the most iconic landmarks and historical sites in America, as well as being a hub for politics, culture, and art. If you’re planning a trip to Washington DC, make sure to add these 10 must-see attractions to your itinerary.
1. The White House– Obviously, one of the most popular tourist destinations in DC is the White House. You can take a tour of the inside of the building, but even just seeing the exterior is an experience in itself. People from all over the world come to get a glimpse of this American icon.
2. The Capitol Building – Another popular spot for tourists is the Capitol Building. You can take a tour of the inside as well, and learn all about the history and workings of this important building. for instance, did you know that the Capitol Building is where the US Congress meets?
3. The Lincoln Memorial- The Lincoln Memorial is a must-see for anyone visiting DC. It’s an impressive structure, and it’s also a great way to learn about one of the most important presidents in our country’s history, like the fact that Lincoln was the president during the Civil War.
4. The Washington Monument- The Washington Monument is another one of DC’s most popular tourist destinations. It’s an impressive sight, and it’s also a great way to get a birds-ey view of the city. It is the tallest stone structure in the world, and it’s definitely worth a visit.
5. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial is a moving memorial that honors the brave men and women who served in the Vietnam War. It’s a must-see for anyone interested in learning more about this important time in history.
6. The National World War II Memorial- The National World War II Memorial is another moving memorial that honors the brave men and women who served in World War II. It’s a must-see for anyone interested in learning more about this important time in history.
7. The Smithsonian Institution- The Smithsonian Institution is a great place to visit for anyone interested in learning more about art, history, or science. There are a variety of museums located within the Smithsonian Institution, so there’s sure to be something for everyone.
8. The National Zoo- The National Zoo is a great place to visit for animal lovers of all ages. There are a variety of animals to see, and it’s a great way to learn about the animal kingdom. The most popular animal at the National Zoo is probably the giant panda, but there are plenty of other animals to see as well.
9. The National Gallery of Art- If you love art, then this is the place for you! With famous paintings and sculptures from all over the world, the National Gallery of Art is a must-see while in DC. Some of the most popular paintings on display include the Mona Lisa and Starry Night.
10. The White House- Of course, no trip to our nation’s capital would be complete without a visit to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue- the home of the President of the United States. While you can’t go inside, there are plenty of photo opportunities and you might even catch a glimpse of the President himself!
To plan your trip to Washington DC and learn more about these and other great attractions, here are some top factors to consider:
- When to visit: The best time to visit Washington DC is from March to April or September to October when the weather is mild and there are fewer crowds. It is also worth noting that many attractions are free or have reduced prices during these times.
- How to get around: Walking is the best way to see DC, but if your feet get tired, a Washington DC limo service is a great way to see the sights in style. You will avoid the hassle of public transportation and parking, and you can relax and enjoy the ride.
- Where to stay: There are plenty of great hotels in Washington DC, but if you want to be close to the action, look for a hotel in downtown DC. For instance, try the Mandarin Oriental or the Ritz-Carlton.
- What to eat: Washington DC is known for its seafood, so be sure to try some of the local favorites like crabcakes and Chesapeake Bay oysters. The most appreciated eateries in DC are J&G Steakhouse, Fiola Mare, and Proof.
- What to pack: Comfortable shoes, a camera, and your sense of adventure!
There you have it- our top 10 places to see in Washington DC. We hope you enjoy your trip to our nation’s capital!