Sleep is so important and not sleeping enough can affect your life in so many ways. This includes not being able to lose weight and not having enough energy to get through each day.
Below are six of the top reasons as to why you need to get enough sleep each day:
1. Sleep allows your brain to commit new information into your memory by using a process known as memory consolidation. Studies show that students perform better if they have slept well before taking a test and studied the night before.
2. When you don’t sleep enough your metabolism and weight are affected. Some people find that they even gain weight due to lack of sleep. Your body does not process carbohydrates the same way in sleep-deprived people because your hormone levels change. Your brain starts to crave glucose in order to combat tiredness.
3. Not getting enough sleep can actually become a safety concern. You may fall asleep while driving or while working and this can cause accidents and injuries to occur.
4. Lack of sleep often results in mood swings. You may find that you become irritable, impatience, moody and that your concentration levels disappear.
5. Hypertension can be caused by a lack of sleep as your hormone levels change and you can start having irregular heartbeats.
6. If you are deprived of sleep you may find that you get sick more often. Your immune system doesn’t function as well and this can lead to becoming more susceptible during flu and cold season. Some research also shows that getting enough sleep can help fight cancer.
When your body becomes deprived of sleep research has shown that the cytokine molecules that control your immune response system are increased. This results in changes in your blood chemistry which can lead to heart disease, diabetes, and mental health conditions.
studies show that people who are sleep deprived are more likely to suffer from depression, as opposed to those who get enough sleep regularly. If you visit your doctor because you are feeling depressed one of their first questions will be based on how much sleep you get each night.
Sleep is very Important
Many people today find that there is just not enough time in the day to get everything done. In order to make more time, you start to get up earlier or stay up late to finish chores or homework. What happens when you do this is that your body starts to crave more calories. So people who do not sleep enough often find that they are hungry and they start to eat more calorie dense carbohydrate-rich foods.
As you become tired your energy diminishes so even simple tasks such as cooking dinner becomes too much to handle. Studies have shown that people who are tired often pick up fast food or eat out instead of cooking healthy dinners at home.
If you are having trouble sleeping at night take a look at your mattress and pillow.
If you can’t get into a comfortable position then you won’t have a restful night.
The best sleeping positions are on your side either with your legs slightly bent or straight out. You should avoid sleeping on your stomach as this can put undue stress on your back and neck. If you do prefer to sleep in this way you want to try adding a pillow for support under your knees and hips.