A university degree is supposed to be like a promise: if you study hard and sacrifice for a couple of years, you will be rewarded with an amazing job position that comes with a great salary and perks.
As you probably know, a lot has changed since this initial promise of lucrative rewards after going to university has proven to be relatively untrue. The reason behind this is there are more college graduates than ever before, so it’s not such a huge differentiation factor as it was in the 1950s, for instance.
Of course, as a university graduate, you can count on access and advantage when it comes to competing for jobs with high school graduates but a university degree definitely doesn’t imply that you’re on the fast track for getting a job.
Many fresh graduates quickly become unpleasantly surprised by what’s waiting for them in the job market. After all, most students take the notion that they are up for a job after graduation for granted.
If you’re one of those students, here are some useful tips on how to land your dream job even if you’re a recent graduate with no work experience.
Start Small and Build Up
One of the common mistakes fresh graduates make is expecting a top-ranked position with an excellent salary on day one after leaving university. If you’re one of these students, get ready for a series of unpleasant surprises.
Nowadays, having a college degree is not a guarantee for anything – especially if you have majored in a subject that’s not in high demand.
So, if you’re a fresh graduate with little or no work experience and you want to land your dream job, don’t be afraid to start small. There’s no shame in starting at a junior/assistant position, or even an internship.
In the US, many recent graduates opt for internships after their studies to complement their theoretical knowledge and jumpstart their careers in some of the top companies.
If you change your perspective like this, you will be on the fast track to success. By starting small and allowing your employer to see your positive qualities through practical work, rather than a degree, you will prove that you have a great work ethic and learning capabilities, university degree or not.
Starting small at a low-paying position in a top company may not be such a bad idea. After all, the majority of the most desirable companies tend to increase wages periodically for all their employees. If you prove to be a valuable asset for the company, you will soon see a better wage and more responsibilities.
Take Some Time to Work on Practical Skills
At university, you had to focus on the subjects and courses outlined by your college program. For example, if you studied graphic design and wanted to be an illustrator, you had to spend a fair amount of time learning the history of art and theoretical concepts.
After you graduate, the situation is different. You will then have the possibility to exclusively focus on activities and subjects that are interesting and useful to you.
This mode of learning allows for much faster information absorption and skill-building.
If you take some time to work on a specialized skill within your subject, you can become a real expert in a narrow domain and have a more competitive resume on job listings. Just make sure you outline the exact goals that you want to achieve with your additional education. You can use this outline, the so-called SMART goals, to set goals that are:
- S – specific
- M – measurable
- A – attainable
- R – relevant
- T – time-based
If you neglect one or more of these factors, you could be wasting time. Therefore, remember to think smart and plan for success!
Turn To Entrepreneurship and Start Your Own Business
Looking for a dream job that will let you do what you want when you want, and how you want to do it? There is absolutely no other way of achieving this than by going your own way.
With all kinds of Internet money-making opportunities out there, entrepreneurship has never been more popular, especially for recent graduates. If you’re thinking of trying out a business idea and model that you always fantasized about, now is the time to do it.
If you want to run an eCommerce business or a digital agency, you can start earning big money in just a couple of weeks, even if you’re only a fresh graduate.
The best part about choosing this path is that you’re not alone: there are so many resources and community groups out there, that you will find answers virtually to any question in just a couple of clicks.
If you don’t have a clear idea of what kind of business you want to start, here are some of the most lucrative entrepreneurship options that can turn into your long-term dream job:
- Dropshipping online store – Let online tools like Oberlo or Spocket work for you and get you loads of passive income! All you’ll need to do is take care of the marketing side and build an unforgettable brand.
- Consulting services – this is a great option for university graduates because you can use your theoretical knowledge and apply it to a real business environment.
- Tutoring – if you have a knack for teaching, this is another entrepreneurship option that can be very profitable. With online tools that enable remote teaching, you can give lessons in subjects you’re experienced in for students all over the world!
- Blogging – even though blogs are usually perceived as a side hustle, they can most certainly be highly profitable. Make sure you choose a niche that you know a lot about and build an engaged community.
- Course writing – after graduating from university, you’re walking around with tons of useful information in your head just waiting to be put on paper. Why not develop a Coursera or Udemy course and monetize your knowledge and presentation skills?
- Managing social media – for all those crazy about Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, this can be a true dream job. If you spend a lot of time on social media and love communicating with an audience, you can cash in on this interest by offering to manage social media pages for businesses.
Of course, these are just some of the outlined suggestions for your small business. You know yourself and your preferences the best, so you should tailor your new gig according to them.
If you’re afraid of what’s waiting for you out there after you graduate – don’t be! The business world is full of exciting opportunities to land your dream job.
If you stay optimistic, patient, and ambitious, your dream job is bound to come your way, even if you have to create it yourself!
I am very glad this article