Trying to get the site optimally listed on Google or other search engines should be the priority exercise at every juncture. This should be part of the growth strategy of any online endeavor that is seeking ultimate success.
Literally meant to increase the site’s ranking of the web search conducted by the interested viewer, SEO is one of the important ways to generate and direct traffic to a particular site.
Monitoring the ranking of the site should be a priority to ensure the current efforts put into the content and choice of keywords to encourage the relevant clicks is the best for the site. Using complimenting platforms such as Marketing Vox will allow the individual to keep track of the page ranking with tools like Alexa and Google toolbar.
All these will keep a regular check on the ranking and provide the feed necessary to facilitate a re-thinking exercise should there be a need to implement it.
Keywords are like the magnet or the eyes that are going to get the attraction of the SEO thus creating favorable ranking possibilities. The use of the most appropriate keywords will eventually make or break the success of the site’s ranking rate and this is the most important contributing factor from the viewing visitor’s perspective.
Inserting the keywords into recognizable spots like the title tag and the page header will help too.
SEO ranking also takes into account the links the site manages to create. The integration of internal links is an easy way to boost traffic to the individual site or page thus creating a recognition element that is important.
How to Determine And Monitor Your Search Standings?
Business growth is always the ultimate goal sought after in any endeavor undertaken, thus the need to then consider the elements that are needed to successfully monitor this growth in an efficient manner.
Check-In To It
The following are some tips on how this may be effectively achieved:
- Through the process of monitoring the search standing the individual needs to be equipped with the proper understanding of how SEO efforts work.
- One of the recommendations would be to use MarketingVox to help keep tabs on the search standing through the page ranking with tools like Alexa and Google toolbar.
- Making it a periodic practice to check the referral logs to track the visitor’s movements within the site and the search terms that are being popularly used to find the site is encouraged.
- Being committed to the process of determining and monitoring the search standings is also something that should be considered in a rather long term time frame.
- This is because most of the results and information gathered can only be useful and effective if done for a reasonable amount of time to ensure the most accurate gauging exercise possible. Understanding that the material gathered is not beneficial is looked upon as a one-time solution or general idea of the overall picture being presented.
- Having clearly defined goals will also better facilitate the monitoring exercise as the SEO efforts will be better managed. Using suitable web analytics software would be advised at this stage to create a clearer picture of what is working and what is not.
Monitoring the page yielding traffic is also a metric that determines how well the page at the specific site is able to drive search engine traffic to it. As a web host, it is a pivotal element to the success of the page to ensure its visibility to the search engines and to draw new traffic to the site as often as possible.
Research Keywords And Know Where They Go
The harness SEO optimization there is nothing worse than using the wrong keywords, keywords that are ambiguous and misleading, and keywords that are ineffective. The choice of keywords greatly dictates the traffic flow to the site thus creating the desired SEO ranking.
Keyword research is vital to any search engine optimization campaign and every exercise targeted at the site should take this into account. Potential viewers may not be able to find the individual’s site if the connective keywords are not used.
Also using keywords that are deemed popular but have no connection to the material featured on the site will also pose problems as the visitors will eventually catch on to the ploy and perhaps take action against the site.
This kind of bad “publicity” is definitely not needed or encouraged. Targeting the wrong keywords would also put at risk the cost invested into the endeavor as it would basically mean that the money being used would not produce the desired traffic interest to the site.
This would then render the whole exercise a waste of valuable time, resources, and energy. Staying competitive through the use of proper keywords that are relative to the material should be the target of the keyword choosing exercise.
Discarding misconceptions would perhaps be the first way to tackle the keyword research exercise. Most web hosts make the mistake of having a preconceived idea of what the popular keywords should be that would draw traffic to the site. This may not happen as imagined due to the fact that the host is making this assumption or choice based on what he or she perceives the visitor would key into the search. Looking at the keyword search from a wider perspective would be better and more beneficial.
How to Use Internal Links?
Using tried and true methods to optimize the chances of getting traffic to a site should always be extensively explored for its benefits obvious or otherwise. Therefore looking into the possibility of using internal links to enhance interest in a site is definitely worth the effort.
Most seasoned internet marketers know only too well the benefits of using internal links that link one page to another within their site. This facilitates efficient and quick access to information at the site without too many complicated processes.
Below are some points to consider which may assist in understanding the use of internal links:
- Internal links are considered anchor text that should ideally be created using important keywords. These keywords are what are going to identify as the links between the homepage and the topic page thus the keywords chosen should have a high connective element or value to the site.
- If the words in the internal links correspond with those of the home page then the Google search will place a higher ranking rate which will then enhance the search result exercise for the prospects.
- Avoid using the term “click here”. Although it effectively informs the viewer of where to go for further information, it would be more enticing to use actual keywords that are connective to the material about to be viewed.
- This would definitely increase the possibility of the viewer deciding to venture further into the site, especially if the words chosen are attention-grabbing.
Most homepages have the highest ranking status of the site, thus using the links from this area should be done in a wise and careful fashion in order not to overuse or underuse this positive element.
These high ranking pages should ideally be linked to other money-generating pages such as subscription sign up pages, email newsletter sign up, and others.
Creating A Site Map
Gaining popularity as a method of convenient navigation through a website, the site map basically facilitates the list of links to HTML files in the web platform.
There is a visual source safe that includes the creation of site map commands on the web menu to simplify the site map creation, however in order to access this tool one would need to have the write access to use the command on call.
Each time the created site map is called upon, a totally new site map file is created, thus there is a need to save the copy of the particular file to another location where it can be retrieved later.
The following are some simple steps to creating a site map:
- Using the visual source safe explorer the individual would be able to open a web project to commence the exercise.
- When the web menu is clearly visible, the next step would be to click on the create site map icon. In doing so other follow-up instructions would have to be completed in order to work further on the exercise.
- Here in the create a site map for <specified name>dialog box, one would have to use the “To” box to specify the file that will contain the site map eventually. The other alternative would be to click on the browse to locate the file needed for use.
- Then the individual would proceed to select the check in to the visual source safe check box and when this has been completed then the ok icon should be clicked upon.
- Upon completion of clicking on the ok box the specified file is created and checked into the database.
For some, there may be a need to further navigate the file and customize it, which can also be done quite easily.
Creating Search Friendly URLs
Creating search-friendly URLs is important to ensure the right viewers are directed to a particular site for the information they are seeking. Facilitating this in the simplest way without too many complicated processes is important. Therefore ensuring the URLs are designed to be user friendly is important.
Friendly URLs can be the best and quickest way to improve the usability of search-friendly sites. However, it also entails a lot of fine-tuning and corrective exercises to ensure the best results are forthcoming. Ideally, the URLs should contain the relevant connective information in a concise manner while still being able to deliver the gist of what the eventual content is going to be about.
Providing useful information as part of the URL would be an advantage as it would ensure the further exploration of the particular site.
In doing so it would also mean that the individual would have to design a URL that is not only informative but also very concise and points to the material content clearly. Although there are several tools available for this exercise using Apache which is acknowledged to be the easiest system for URLs would be the best course of action.
The advantage here would be that it comes with its own built-in URL rewriting module, mod_rewriter, enabler, and working mod_rewriter and is as simple as uploading correctly formatted and named text files.
Friendly URLs should ideally also work well for search engines to ensure that it is picked up by the various detection tools to be featured accordingly. Besides being easy to detect it should also be easy to remember as a whole host of people pass this information through a variety of less than audibly and visually acceptable ways.
This will allow the underlying database to display information as and when it is needed.
Things to Avoid on SEO
Driving traffic to a site can be very difficult if the SEO is not providing the very important assistance needed to facilitate this ideal scenario. Therefore it is important to consider the elements that prove to be disadvantageous to adopt in the quest to create optimum SEO ranking.
Stay Away From This
The following are some tips on what to consciously avoid:
- The use of wrong keywords would definitely contribute to the failure to get the desired listing that can be provided by the SEO rankings. It cannot be emphasized enough the importance of the right keywords needed for the ideal ratio of traffic to be directed to the site. High valued keywords will generate a high level of clicks which in turn will contribute to the high traffic to the site.
- Forgetting to include “alt” tags for the images can have detrimental results. As the search engine is predominantly unable to detect and understand image presentations or contents for ranking purposes providing the “alt” would then ideally overcome this problem. Imagery is a very important content matter to be included in any site thus this importance should be adequately understood by the SEO tool.
- Duplicating content is another thing to be carefully avoided at all costs. It does not benefit in any way and besides showing the low commitment level of the site host it also does not get any positive reactions from the SEO and it may even result in some sort of penalization.
- The use of poor anchor tags not only does not entice the viewer to venture further into the site it also does not provide the SEO with the relevant information about the material content of the links. Without this connection made there is little chance of enhancing the ranking exercise to positively reflect the site’s content.
- Overuse of the keywords is also something to be avoided as this would not only render the material boring and monotonously repetitive in content but it would also cause the search engine to penalize the site for such unproductive activities.
Using Image Descriptions
Using images will definitely contribute positively to the traffic movement towards a particular site. Therefore it would be prudent to have some knowledge of how this works and its positive contributing factors that facilitate the ideal traffic flow.
Adding descriptions to any image uploaded would provide the platform for SEO optimization as it will ensure the site is ranked higher in the search results because of the higher interest in the site’s content.
Otherwise known as alt tags the purpose of the image descriptions is to help the search engine understand the contents of the images and their related matter which is designed to contribute in a complimenting capacity to the write-up material.
By providing the explanation platform through the alt tags the SEO is better able to adjust the ranking accordingly thus providing encouragement to view the site. Therefore the more information that can be provided the better the understanding and eventual placing by the SEO would be.
Through the alt, the SEO is also able to direct traffic to a site when they search for images is keyed into the search exercise. The relevant images will then be directed to the ongoing search effectively and immediately the viewer will be privy to such visuals.
A handy tip to remember is if there is a need to add an image to an email from the image library or website the individual will be the option available to include the image description at any time.
Changing the image descriptions is also possible in the email drafts. It would be a less frustrating exercise to make the logos or images into clickable links to the original website.
In general, there is no real need to be specific about thumbnail size as the user will select one that is most suitable for their preference.
Create and Use Fresh Content
Good and relevant content that is ever-changing to adapt to the current needs of the viewing public is very important to the site staying competitive.
When the material posted is left undisturbed for long periods of time the significant drop in interest will be reflected in the loss of traffic to the site thus eventually rendering the site almost redundant.
When this happens it will probably be an uphill battle to get back to the original position of favorable SEO ranking status. Thus being careful to avoid such a possibility the individual would need to stay relevant and current with the material posted on the site.
The following are some recommendations to help avoid being stagnant in relation to the site status:
- Get into the habit of regularly performing site reviews for all the content posted on the site. Questions such as is the material relevant to the current market needs, whether are there any industry changes that would cause the current material to be redundant, what is needed by those visiting the site, and any others that may require the reassessment of the content material currently featured.
- If it is blogging material that is being assessed then this should be done without any reservations as blog material when left unchanged will then be categorized as boring and uneventful thus discouraging further interest in the postings.
- Making small changes is not good enough to consider the material fresh from any perspective. Therefore there is a need to revamp the entire content to ensure its freshness. Small changes will not serve to pacify the SEO standards adequately.
Use Social Media And Technology
Any tool that is going to gain the attention of the SEO to ensure optimum ranking recognition will always be welcomed. The use of social media and technology is no exception and the need to explore these further is evident for the benefits it can bring.
Much of the web traffic generated is basically done through some form of the effective social platform which would include social media tools.
This form of social sharing for inbound marketers is often a huge though sometimes untapped source of traffic and thus should not be ignored.
The visibility of a site can be elevated through the use of both social media and technology tools which will contribute to the site having a material listing that is current and relevant to those participating in this arena.
Using the social media and technology available to attract attention and get the site to a point where it becomes a hot topic that everyone is excited to be part of will facilitate the phenomenal traffic flow to the site.
This kind of exposure will greatly benefit the searchers where the products or services are directly linked to the site thus effectively creating interest which could turn into real revenue earning possibilities.
It also helps to keep the competition in check if the use of such tools is optimized to cater to the viewing public needs before anything else.
The exercise of utilizing social media and technology clearly shows the individual’s interest in wanting to be able to cater to and stay connected to the prospects and existing customer base.
This is one way of building the trust element while making the effort to learn more about the customers’ needs and interests and try to provide for them accordingly.
The SEO ranking will definitely be adversely affected if the material posted is not updated or changed altogether periodically.
Additionally, fresh content will play a major role in keeping repeat visits more frequent as interested subscribers want access to the latest posting on the site.
Learn everything you can and stay on top of your site for success.
Hi Mimo, Thanks for this for super in-depth and informative post. All these inputs are actionable and easy to understand.