Expanded Clay balls are essentially made from light expanded clay aggregate (LECA). This is made by baking pure natural clay at 1200 degrees Celsius for approximately 3 hours. Many people refer to this as clay pebbles as well. It has several applications due to its unique property, “low thermal conductivity”. This includes use as aggregate concrete for a construction project.
For example, a typical construction project can have several applications like roof insulation, ground damp proof, etc. The other applications include use as a heatproof component in kilns and stoves, for aqua gardens, flower pots, etc.
Tips for Using Expanded Clay Balls
- It is a good idea to rinse and soak prior to using it since it helps remove debris or dust which are likely to have settled on it while at the factory.
- The benefit of soaking clay pebbles for 4 to 6 hours is to ensure one can maximize the yield.
- Clay pebble is very effective when it comes to growing indoor plants. To obtain the best results with planting it is best to allow water to percolate through the micro-pores of the clay pebbles, thus saturating it prior to planting. This setup ensures the plants receive a good balance of food, air, and moisture.
- Noise reduction is a necessity for many people and it also has several benefits including physiological and psychological advantages. One of the simplest methods of reducing noise pollution is to use insulation material to absorb the sound and prevent it from reaching us. The benefit of clay ball structure that it is a 100% inert and microporous structure with excellent acoustic insulation property.
- LECA is well known for its superior fire resistance properties; it is able to resist fire and maintain the physical property as well. Thus, the requirement for fireproof fiberglass is made simpler using this material.
- One of the popular applications of this is for insulating pipes. There are several applications for pipes like that for a chimney, fireplace as well as stoves, and ovens. It is necessary for these pipes to handle high temperatures and hence they need to be well insulated. Expanded Clay is ideal for this purpose due to its unique properties.
- Clay pebbles are also a good medium for flood and drain hydroponic systems. This system has two main levels, a planting container, and a reservoir. Water travels from the reservoir to the planting container using a pump. The best method of using the clay pebbles is to place them in the container after properly rinsing them.
- This is the optimal material for any construction project as well. There are several common issues for any construction project and clay balls have the ability to solve many of those issues.
- The common properties of this material include being lightweight, earthquake-resistant, and fire-resistant. Being lightweight means it is easier to handle during the construction process and also easier and cheaper to transport.
- It has excellent thermal insulation as well as good sound insulation and at the same time, it is insect proof as well. Hence, it is valuable in building materials to help maintain temperature and keep the noise out of the house. It also means lower energy bills.
- Although it is light in weight, it is able to maintain high compressive strength and offer better aerating. It is a non-toxic and eco-friendly material that is optimal for construction.
Thus expanded clay balls have a wide range of applications from the construction industry (for housing, infrastructure, etc), waste management, landscaping, petrochemicals, oil and gas, outdoor sports courts, geotechnical use, walls, floors and roofs, thermal insulations, and more. These clay balls are for sale in many stores online and even in local stores depending on the requirement.