Let’s admit that testing is a vital aspect of software development lifecycles. Since the inception of software development, a significant chunk of time went into conducting utility tests to check regular performances. It all started when companies hired manual testers to invest massive time in justifying software against observable bugs. Although they could solve most issues, several concerns remained unattended, even fatal to the application.
So, an automated approach was the need of the hour. Right then, automation testing came into the frame and changed the software development paradigm. Nowadays, most, if not all, companies invest in automation testing methodologies to identify all software bugs precisely and release excellent deliverables in the end. Such a trending process is creating numerous high-paying job opportunities in the IT industry vigorously.
Guess what? You can avail of the industry demand and join leading firms as skilled automation testers. Are you wondering how to become an automation tester? Luckily, you’ve hopped at the best place if it’s a yes! To begin with, you can enroll in an automation testing certification course and kickstart your career. Let’s get into more details below in this article. Keep reading!
Who is an Automation Tester?
Hang on! Before diving deeper into the steps to become an automation tester, let’s spare some time to clear out who such professionals are.
Well, an automation tester stands at the essential checkpoint of the software development process. These professionals ensure product quality by diagnosing bugs and running simulations on new or existing software packages developed by a company. Furthermore, get a clear understanding of an automation tester profile by looking at their day-to-day roles and responsibilities.
- Curating an automation testing master plan for specific software.
- Releasing a testing strategy document after getting approvals on the master plan.
- Selecting automation test cases to run environment simulations on software.
- Setting up Selenium Test Environment (STE) and configuring Integrated Development Environment to conduct tests.
- Running test cases, identifying bugs, and fixing them sequentially.
- Scrutinizing the defect management process in the company.
- Change management after the first iteration and conducting regression testing.
- Framing pinpointed solutions to handle software errors that arise after running automated tests.
What are the Essential Skills to Become an Automation Tester?
First things first! You must add relevant skills to your bucket and sharpen your capabilities to become a successful automation testing engineer. But what are the skills that you should emphasize? Don’t worry! Below is a list of skills that recruiters expect from an aspiring automation tester.
- Strong domain and relevant technical knowledge
- Hands-on experience in conducting automation testing
- Knowledge of all phases in software development lifecycle(SDLC)
- Right approach towards software systems
- Sharpened analytical skills
- Honed decision-making capabilities
- Must own a team spirit with an ability to maintain good rapport with colleagues
- Accuracy and precision
- Keen observation skills to not miss out on even inconspicuous details
- Pressure management ability
- Good with respecting and meeting deadlines precisely.
As you can see, automation testers are much beyond core technical expertise. They require extending to generalized skills and acquiring a 360-degree personality to become successful in the workplace.
How to Become an Automation Tester?
Enough of beating around the bush! Let’s jump into the process one must follow to become an automation tester. Here are the eight things to do that you must adhere to emerge as a successful automation testing engineer in the leading companies worldwide.
1. Know the Testing ABCs
Automation testing requires an in-depth understanding of test concepts and terminologies. So, begin with clearing the testing fundamentals and building foundational knowledge before studying automation testing. Such a habit will orient you in the right direction, and you could easily and quickly learn automation testing concepts.
2. Begin Early!
Are you waiting for the “right moment” to start learning automation testing? Unfortunately, such a move can be fatal to your career. Begin as early as possible and try building your portfolio. Get access to cutting-edge platforms and gain hands-on experience with relevant tools.
3. Get Well-Acquainted with Programming
Believe it or not, programming is a vital aspect of automation testing. As an essential prerequisite, you must get well-acquainted with coding concepts and have high expertise in solving critical problems.
Also, recruiters expect the aspirants to have an in-depth knowledge of data structures and algorithms. So, ensure that you have programming, data structures, and algorithm concepts in the right place before hopping on to automation testing.
4. Remember Manual Testing
Although automation testing is an up-to-date concept, it stands on the pillars of manual testing concepts. So, you will require practicing and recollecting manual testing principles at times, even when you have decided to pursue your career in automation testing.
5. Know the Nitty-Gritty of Applications
The success of an automation testing engineer lies in his ability to understand applications and their underlying frameworks. So, please learn all about apps when beginning your journey in automation testing.
6. Automation Testing Life Cycle is Your Thing!
Being an automation tester, you will require mastering the automation testing lifecycle (ATLC). You must get well-familiar with all phases in ATLC and prepare yourself to tackle all problems coming in the way.
7. How to Frame Automation Testing Strategy?
A significant portion of an automation tester’s day-to-day life goes into framing a fail-proof automation testing strategy. So, you can concentrate on remembering how to build an automation testing strategy as an essential part of your career.
8. Walk Hand-in-Hand with Latest Industry Trends
Like any other job profile, automation testing is all about staying on beat with the latest trends in the industry. Regardless of whether you are a budding tester or a professional one, pacing with the trends is an ongoing process in the life of an automation tester. So, try walking hand-in-hand with upgrades and migrations that take over your industry.
The trending automation testing domain is yet to witness better days in the future. So, you are on the right path if you plan to join the league of automation testers. What makes you wait? Get a powerful automation testing course and skyrocket your journey today!